If you are planning a New Year’s Eve party and you’re looking for a cocktail which is delicious, but wont leave your guests with a raging hangover, then this is the recipe for you. Created by Michael Lomonaco, executive chef at New York City’s Center Bar, this cocktail is perfect if you’ve made health related New Year’s Resolutions.
At it’s base is champagne (or sparkling wine), instead of hard liquor, making this drink lighter than lots of mixed drinks. Pear syrup is simple to make and adds a fruity sweetness to this delicious cocktail.
Aside from being delicious, the effort involved makes you appear to be a thoughtful host who serves up more to his/her guests than just plain old champagne!
Pear Champagne Cocktail Recipe
- 1 ounce pear syrup recipe below
- 3 ounces champagne or sparkling wine
- 1 slice fresh pear sliced partway through on the bias
- Pear Syrup
- 1 ripe Bartlett pear
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass filled with ice.
- Stir gently and strain into a flute; garnish with pear slice.
How to make Pear Syrup
- 1. Peel and core pear. Bring all ingredients to a boil, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, uncovered.
- 2. Strain and let cool.