Champagne is a drink best known for its sophistication and class, and truth be told, it is a very popular drink for a lot of intellectual and high-society individuals that have a flair for life and have a taste for quality. It is not to say that the drink is reserved only for the upper-class of our society, but it is well known to be such, especially with the price point it is most associated with. Because of this, careful studying and consideration has been given to the way it is served, particularly because a lot of individuals in high society want to enjoy their drinks as they are.
Wine and glasses usually go hand in hand, but in this particular case there are special types of glasses for drinking champagne, and these champagne glasses comes in a variety of shapes and sizes that have been perfected over time.
What are the different types of champagne glasses?
Champagne glasses actually came into being because of the nature of the drink itself – the need for the sparkling wine to be served and preserved from the bottle to the moment of consuming it. Because of the reputation of champagne, it is in many individual’s belief that it should be enjoyed in a specific and certain way that preserves it’s characteristics, hence the birth of the different glasses for champagne. There are many different types of wine glasses available for champagne consumption, but the most popular ones are the following:
- Champagne flute glasses. The most common type and highly recognized type of glasses for drinking champagne are the champagne flutes. This type of wine glass is specifically designed to reduce the carbonation process that champagne is known for thanks to the narrow surface area at the opening of the bowl. The long stem also allows the drinker to hold the glass without affecting the temperature of the drink itself
- Champagne saucers. Sometimes also known as champagne coupes are a much broader and shorter wine glass usually used for wedding receptions and most cocktails. Its design allows for the carbonization to happen much quicker, which can be perfect for the traditional sweet tasting wine, but can be bad for the more modern style dry wines that are available today
- Stemless champagne glasses. These wine glasses simply resemble the more popular champagne flutes, only without the long stems
Now aside from the different types of glasses for champagne there are also different styles that most individuals have been accustomed to. Most of these styles stem from the various personalized glasses being demanded by the different occasions and events. While it can be said that most of the personalized glasses available for the champagne loving community usually involves mere personalization touches such as engraving, monogram creations and stamping, color tinting as well as a host of different techniques to make a champagne wine glass unique, some of the techniques used are more than cosmetic in nature and can result in a very different experience offered to the champagne. The most popular champagne glasses styles are the following:
- Vintage champagne glasses. The appeal of vintage champagne glasses is the mere fact that it looks nothing like the modern and streamlined versions that are available today. While the form factor can be a bit jarring for the modern wine connoisseurs, the additional intricate details provide a more sophisticated feel to the drinker
- Engraved champagne glasses. While glasses for wine can be a dime a dozen these days, one perfect way to personalize wine glasses is through engraving. This can be a perfect way to personalize the wine glass for an important event, such as a wedding or an anniversary.
- Wedding champagne glasses. As previously said, champagne saucers or champagne coupes are the more preferred wine glasses for weddings. One particular presentation that is popularly being made during such occasions are the stacked wine glasses on a certain table being poured sparkling wine for serving
Plastic glasses – can they be used to serve champagne?
The increasing advances in technology and production are now making it possible to produce plastic glasses. While plastic glasses may receive a lot of thumbs down from champagne and wine connoisseurs, plastic glasses does have a lot of advantages:
- It is resistant to breaking. The most beneficial quality of plastic glasses is that they are highly resistant to breaking. The same simply cannot be said with its wine glasses counterparts. While the biggest characteristic that a lot of wine lovers have against plastic glasses is the way it affects the champagne, that is more an issue with being a hardcore wine lover as compared to a casual wine drinker
- It is cheaper than glass. Wine glasses are much more expensive than plastic glasses. Aside from the shipping cost and extra expense charged by the delivery, maintenance and storage might also be a problem from wine glasses
- It can be disposable. Plastic champagne glasses are highly disposable and recyclable. Unlike its glass counterparts, plastic champagne glasses can have an incredibly short shelf-life that will probably be offset by its cheap price
- It is easier to clean and maintain. The main reason why plastic champagne glasses are a better substitute for wine glasses is that, as mentioned above, it is highly unbreakable, therefore allowing for the cleaning and transportation to be easier and stress-free
- It is safer than glass. Broken glass can produce cuts and bruises that can sometimes be fatal, unlike plastic glasses that clearly doesn’t have that issue
On a final note, while there are many different types of champagne glasses, each contributing to how the very popular sparkling wine is served and each with its own unique characteristic and flair as well as the consideration and exceptions to the materials being used, the popular drink known for its class and high stature remains just that – a very refreshing drink. Strip away the sophistication, the intellectual underpinnings, the wealth of preparation and its reputation and the drink itself remains just a drink. It is true that the different types of champagne glasses and champagne flutes whether it is made out of glass or plastic or depending on the variety of use such as those used for weddings and special occasions that they need to be personalized contribute to how the sparkling wine is enjoyed, but it is also important to remember that no matter what we do, champagne remains a drink that can be enjoyed regardless of the circumstance of the drinker.
Article can be found by following search terms:
- champagne flutes
- champagne glasses types
- unique champagne flutes
- antique champagne glasses
- unique champagne glasses
- different kinds of sauce champagne glass