The word punch conjures up memories of 70s parties and alcoholic concoctions that rendered the drinker very drunk, very quickly, popular perhaps for its ability to loosen people up fast. This is not that kind of punch, but rather a cocktail that is ideal when you don’t want to get too drunk too quickly. This is ideal for Christmas Eve, or the start of a very long night of New Year’s Eve celebrations. With this, you should be able to stay alert longer into the night.
With champagne or sparkling wine as a base, and ginger ale and orange liqueur as the finishing touches, this is not as potent as cocktails can be. It’s not very sweet, but lovely just the same, and pefect for parents to sip whilst wrapping their children’s Christmas presents on Christmas Eve.
Champagne Punch with Gingerale and Orange Champagne Cocktail Recipe
- 1 750ml bottle of cold dry sparkling wine (a brut Prosecco, Cava or Californian is a good bet)
- 3 cups of cold ginger ale
- 1 ounce that's 2 Tbsp orange liqueur (like Triple Sec)
- 8 fresh basil leaves optional, just for garnish
- 30 frozen cranberries optional, just for garnish
Pour the sparkling wine into a punch bowl.
Slowly add the ginger ale and the orange liqueur.
Add the basil and frozen cranberries (if using) or a few handfuls of ice.